The Electronic Federal Tax Payment System® (EFTPS) is a tax payment service that is provided by the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
What is EFTPS used for?
The EFTPS is used by businesses and government agencies to make their tax payments online. Although individuals may also use EFTPS, most opt to use IRS Direct Pay which doesn’t require registration.
Federal tax payments via EFTPS can be made via:
- ACH Debit (Authorize a transaction yourself)
- ACH Credit (Have your Financial Institution initiate your transaction)
You can view up to 16 months of payment history. All taxes due to the IRS can be made using EFTPS.
How to enroll in EFTPS
To get started, you will need the following:
- Taxpayer Identification Number (your Employer Identification Number if you’re enrolling as a business or your Social Security Number if you’re enrolling as an individual).
- Banking account number and routing number.
- Address and name as they appear on your IRS tax documents.
Then, simply follow these instructions:
- Select “Enrollment.”
- Select “Business,” or “Individual,” or “Federal Agency.”
- Enter the requested information.
In seven business days, you will receive your PIN in the mail. You’ll need this pin before proceeding to STEP 2.
Get your password.
- Go to EFTPS.gov and click on “Log In.”
- Click on “Need a Password.”
- Enter your EIN or SSN and your PIN.
- Verify your banking information or your EFTPS enrollment number (which appears on your PIN letter or was given to you when you activated your enrollment via phone) and select “Next.”
- Create your new Internet password.
Make your payment.
- Go to www.eftps.gov and select “Make a Payment.”
- Select “Log In” again and use your EIN, PIN, and the password you just set.
- Enter the payment information in the step-by-step screens.
- When you’re finished, save a copy of the Payment Confirmation page. This contains your EFT Acknowledgment Number that acts as a receipt for your payment instruction.
How quickly can you make a payment?
EFTPS accepts same day payments for business tax payments that meet the following criteria:
- Payment is $25,000 or less.
- Payment is submitted prior to 1:00 PM ET on a business day.
Business tax payments that do not meet the criteria above must be scheduled at least one calendar day before the tax due date by 8:00 PM ET to reach the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) on time. On the date you select, the funds will be moved to Treasury from your banking account, and your records will be updated at the IRS.
Common EFTPS issues
Call 1.800.555.4477 to get it resent to you by U.S. Mail. You can get a payment scheduled in the meantime if you verify certain information. For security reasons, your PIN must be mailed; it can’t be given to you over the phone.
Wrong payment or form chosen
If it’s two or more business days before your payment is scheduled to be made, you can cancel the payment through EFTPS.
EFTPS customer service
To pay via the voice response system: 1.800.555.3453
To reach an EFTPS® customer service agent: 1.800.555.4477 (en español, 1.800.244.4829)
TDD (hearing impaired): 1.800.733.4829 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. ET M-F)
If you’re outside the United States, call EFTPS® at 1.303.967.5916 (toll call).
Help with social security/employer identification number and name mismatch: 1.866.255.0654 (7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. ET M-F)
Help with rejected registrations dealing with social security/employer identification number and name mismatch: 1-866-255-0654 (7:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. ET M-F)
Questions about due dates, balances due, payment mailing addresses, penalties, and payments made with errors for businesses: 1.800.829.4933 (Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time))
Questions about due dates, balances due, and installment agreements for individuals: 1.800.829.1040 (Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time))