This page provides information about the IRS Office Durham location.
IRS Office Durham Virtual Assistance – By Appointment Only
The IRS Office in Durham provides virtual assistance. A taxpayer might receive IRS assistance services provided by an employee in a remote office using a computer. The experience is almost similar to talking face to face with an employee, except in this case the IRS employee is sitting in a different location far away and the communication takes place through a computer monitor. Upon confirmed appointment, a workstation will be booked for the taxpayer. The taxpayer simply sits at the designated workstation on their pre-fixed date and time and speak with the employee appearing on screen.
The IRS Virtual Assistance service is solely provided by appointment-only basis. Taking an appointment prior to visiting the Virtual Assistance office is mandatory for all potential taxpayers or visitors.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Assistance with questions about tax law changes in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is available year-round. See Tax Cuts and Jobs Act for more information.
- Basic tax law assistance January 2 – April 15 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Tax Topics)
- Form 911, request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (tax law or account assistance only)
- Payment arrangements
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
Services Not Available at this Location:
- Accept any payment (cash, check or money orders)
- Authenticate/verify taxpayer identity
- Departing alien clearance (Sailing Permits)
- Copies of tax returns and transcripts
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Pick up tax forms or order by mail