This page provides information about the IRS Office Chicago location.
IRS Office Chicago – 230 S. Dearborn Street, Chicago, IL 60604
IRS Office at Chicago is situated on the John C. Kluczynski Federal Building & US Post Office, Loop Station at South Dearborn Street. Famous Chicago architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe designed the structure. The construction was done in 1975. This 43-storied building houses many federal offices like the Dept. of Labor, Drug Enforcement Administration, General Services Administration, Office of Personnel Management and offices of two United States Senators. An architectural art is featured in the main plaza to the north called Flamingo, it is a red steel flamingo structure by sculptor Alexander Calder.
East on Adams Street: Head west on East Adams Street toward South Wabash Avenue. Make a left turn onto South Clark Street and then another left turn onto West Jackson Boulevard. After a hundred feet, turn left onto South Dearborn Street where the Federal Building is located on the left.
West on Jackson Boulevard: Head east on West Jackson Boulevard toward South Wacker Drive. Continue until the arrival of South Dearborn Street, then make a left turn onto this road. The Federal Building will be on the left.
North on Clark Street: Head south on North Clark Street toward West Washington Street. Make a left turn onto West Jackson Boulevard and then make another left turn onto South Dearborn Street. The John C. Kluczynski Federal Building will be on the left.
South on Dearborn Street: Head north on South Dearborn Street toward West Harrison Street. Look out for the 43-story Federal Building on the left.
Monday through Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
How to make an appointment
If you require face-to-face service at an IRS office, you must call 844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Once you make an appointment, you will receive an automated email confirming the day and time of your appointment.
Public parking facilities are not available. However, metered parking streets are very close to the building. Also, many commercial parking lots operate in the area. Parking pricing in this area is very expensive!
Public visitors might need to pass through electronic security equipment. Presenting a government issued valid ID might be mandatory for gaining access to the building, and the confirmation of appointment.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 1 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Topics)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)
*Does not accept cash payments
This office provides Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA), a self-assistance computer kiosk with an IRS employee available to assist you with navigating the IRS.gov website. With FSA, you can access the IRS.gov website to complete a number of IRS-related tasks or get more information on the following subjects:
- Free File program
- Forms & Publications
- Where’s My Refund?
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Tax law questions
- Online Employer Identification Number (EIN) Application
- Online Payment Agreement
- Electronic payments (Direct Pay and EFTPS)