This page provides information about the IRS Office Des Moines location.
IRS Office Des Moines – 210 Walnut Street, Des Moines, IA 50309
The IRS Office at Des Moines city is located in the Neal Smith Federal Building.
East on E M.L.K Jr. Parkway: Head west on E M.L.K Jr. Parkway toward SE 15th Street. Continue onto W Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, then turn right onto SW 2nd Street. Quarter miles later turn left onto Walnut Street. The Federal Building will be on the left on this road.
West on Grand Avenue: Head east on Grand Avenue toward 19th Street. Use any of the available lanes to turn slightly right toward Locust Street. Then, turn left onto Locust Street and continue for a mile. Then turn right onto 3rd Street. After a while, turn left at the 1st cross-street onto Walnut Street. After a while, the Federal Building will be on the right.
North on 2nd Avenue and 3rd Street: Head south on 2nd Avenue toward Forest Avenue. Continue onto 3rd Street, then after almost a mile turn left onto Walnut Street. The Federal Building will be on the right.
South on SE 14th Street: Head north on SE 14th Street toward E Thornton Avenue. Take any of the left 2 lanes to turn slightly left onto Indianola Avenue and continue for 2 miles. Then, continue onto SW 2nd Street and almost a mile later turn left onto Walnut Street. The Federal Building will be on the left.
Monday through Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, with a one-hour lunch break from 12.30 pm to 1.30 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
How to make an appointment
If you require face-to-face service at an IRS office, you must call 844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Once you make an appointment, you will receive an automated email confirming the day and time of your appointment.
There might not be on-premises public parking available. However, metered parking streets are adjacent to the building and commercial parking lots are within walking distance, e.g. ABM Parking, 8th and Mulberry.
Public visitors might need to pass through electronic security equipment. Presenting a government issued valid ID might be mandatory for gaining access to the building, and the confirmation of appointment.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 1 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)
*Does not accept cash payments
2 thoughts on “IRS Office Des Moines”
The gentleman that assisted me in identifying who I was (so wasn’t identity fraud & was me) was very friendly and personable..Its really comforting to know we have people with heart working in such an uncomfortable position such as this..Thank You for your compassion…it was a breath of fresh air considering I wasnt privy to the area and a tad stressed with the new area and construction…Kudos!
You can get transcripts online.
We have a guide on how to get transcripts here: IRS transcripts.
Here’s the IRS transcripts page: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript