This page provides information about the IRS Office Detroit location.
IRS Office Detroit – 500 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226
The Detroit IRS Office is located in Ally Detroit Center, which is commonly known by its former name One Detroit Center. Ally Detroit Center is the tallest building in Michigan, rising 619 feet high at 189 meter. This is also the 2nd tallest building in Michigan State. The construction timeline was between 1991 and 1993. John Burgee and Philip Johnson are the architects who designed this massive structure. Some major tenants other than IRS on this building are Comerica Bank, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Peninsula Capital Partners, Isobar, iProspect, MSX International etc.
Northeast on Jefferson Avenue: Head southwest on Jefferson Avenue toward Dubois Street. Take the ramp that leads onto Interstate 375. Continue on this highway and after a few hundred feet, turn slightly right onto Jefferson Service Road. Make a right turn onto Griswold Street at the 1st cross street, then turn right again onto Larned Street at the 1st cross street. Finally, turn left onto Woodward Avenue; the IRS Office will be on the right on this road.
Southwest on Fort Street: head northeast on Fort Street toward 14th Street. Take a right turn onto Griswold Street. After a while, turn left at the 2nd cross street onto Larned Street. Finally, turn left onto Woodward Avenue. The IRS Office will be on the right on this road.
North on Woodward Avenue: Head southeast on Woodward Avenue toward Alexandrine Street. Continue straight on this road, then make a U-turn at Larned Street. The IRS Office will be on the right.
Monday through Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
Information: (313) 628-3722
Appointment: (844) 545-5640
Finding a vacant parking spot on the on-premises garage could be difficult. Metered parking streets are just around the corner of the building. There are plenty of commercial parking garages within walking distance; and One Detroit Garage is the on-premises commercial parking managed by Ultimate Parking Management. Parking is expensive in this area.
All public visitors will have to go through many stages of electronic security equipment and tightened security measurements on this building. Presenting a government issued valid ID card is mandatory for access to the building and verification of appointment.
All public visitors must take appointment prior to visiting, by calling the number provided above.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 1 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Topics)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)
*Does not accept cash payments
This office provides Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA), a self-assistance computer kiosk with an IRS employee available to assist you with navigating the IRS.gov website. With FSA, you can access the IRS.gov website to complete a number of IRS-related tasks or get more information on the following subjects:
- Free File program
- Forms & Publications
- Where’s My Refund?
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Tax law questions
- Online Employer Identification Number (EIN) Application
- Online Payment Agreement
- Electronic payments (Direct Pay and EFTPS)