This page provides information about the IRS Office Duluth location.
IRS Office Duluth – 515 W. First Street, Duluth, MN 55802
The IRS Office in Duluth city is located in federal building, known as the Gerald W. Heaney Federal Building & US Courthouse. The Federal Building is located on the southwest side of the Duluth Civic Center. This building was opened on September 29th, 1929. To honor the memories of Federal Judge Gerald William Heaney who served between 1966 and 2006, this building was renamed after him on May 8th, 2007. National Register of Historic Places enlists this building; this building is also an important part of the Duluth Civic Center Historic District. US District, Bankruptcy, and Magistrate Courts are the major tenants at this location, other tenants are – Mine Safety & Health Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, Homeland Security Offices, Postal Services, and US Marshals Services. Some nearby locations are St. Louis County, Duluth City Fire Deputy Chief, Duluth Fire Department Credit Union, Radisson Hotel Duluth-Harborview etc.
West on US-53: From Duluth International Airport, head east on US-53S. Continue onto W Central Entrance for 2 miles, then turn right onto Mesaba Avenue and drive for quarter to a mile. Turn left onto N 4th Avenue West. Finally, turn right onto W 1st Street. The Federal Building will be on the right.
Northeast on Interstate 35: Head southwest on London Road toward the Lakewalk then turn left onto I-35 South. Exit the interstate through 256B toward 5th Avenue West. Use the right lane to take the ramp to S 5th Avenue West, then turn right onto S 5th Avenue West. Finally, turn left onto W 1st Street. The Federal Building will be on the right.
Southwest on Interstate 35: Head northeast on I-35N. Exit the interstate through exit 256B for 5th Avenue West toward Lake Avenue. Then, turn left onto S 5th Avenue West. Finally, turn left onto W 1st Street; the Federal Building will be on the right.
Monday through Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, with a one hour lunch break from 12.30 pm to 1.30 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
How to make an appointment
If you require face-to-face service at your local IRS office, you must call 844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Once you make an appointment, you will receive an automated email confirming the day and time of your appointment.
The on-premises public parking facility at this federal building is very limited, however the visitors can use the nearby metered parking streets or commercial parking lots/garages within walking distance.
Public visitors might need to pass through electronic security equipment. Presenting a government issued valid ID might be mandatory for gaining access to the building, and the confirmation of appointment.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 1 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Topics)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)
*Does not accept cash payments