This page provides information about the IRS Office New Haven location.
IRS Office New Haven – 150 Court Street, New Haven, CT 06510
The IRS Office at New Haven is a part of the Robert N. Giaimo Federal building located at the Court Street. Being the downtown area of the city, it is indeed one of the busiest part of the city and always in the happening. The Federal Building is named after Robert Nicholas Giaimo who was a Democratic US Representative from Connecticut. As usual, the Federal Building is maintained by GSA. Under GSA’s Art in Architecture Program, ‘On High’ by Alexander Lieberman is commissioned in this building premises. It is a painted rolled steel structure created in 1979. Some of the federal offices in this building are Dept. of Justice-Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms (ATF), Social Security Administration and US Labor Department. Some nearby locations – Bank of American Financial Center, US District Courthouse, Center Church Cemetery, New Haven Probate Court, State Street Station, Connecticut Children’s Museum, New Haven Free Public Library and Yale University etc.
East on Chapel Street: Head west on Chapel Street toward Poplar Street. Then turn right onto State Street. After a quarter mile, turn left onto Wall Street. Few hundred feet later, turn left onto Orange Street. The Federal Building will be on the right.
West on Boston Post Road: Head east on Columbus Avenue. Upon arrival, turn left onto Columbus Avenue. Turn left onto Church Street S, then use the right 2 lanes to turn right onto Elm Street. Finally, turn right onto Orange Street and the Federal Building will be on the right.
North on Prospect Street: Head north on Prospect Street and continue onto College Street. Turn left onto Elm Street and after a quarter mile, turn right onto Orange Street. The Federal Building will be on the right.
South on Interstate 95N/91N: Head northeast on I-95N. Take exit I-91 toward I-91N and continue onto I-91N. Through exit 3, drive onto Trumbull Street. Finally, turn left onto Orange Street. The Federal Building will be on the right.
Monday through Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, with a one-hour lunch break from 12 pm to 1 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
Information: (203) 492-8609
Appointment: (844) 545-5640
There is no-premises public parking facility in this Federal Building. However, metered street parking is available adjacent to the building and few commercial parking lots/garages are located within walking distance; e.g. 360 State Street Parking, George Street Garage, Crown Street Garage etc.
All public visitors must pass through several electronic security equipment checkpoints. Presenting a government issued valid ID is mandatory for gaining access to the building and the confirmation of appointment. Expect longer procedure during security check.
All public visitors must take appointments prior to visiting, by calling the number provided above.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 2 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return)
- Check, money order, or cash payment acceptance (Exact Change is Required)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
- Payment arrangements
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)