This page provides information about the IRS Office Providence location.
IRS Office Providence – 380 Westminster Street, Providence, RI 02903
Rhode Island is a small state, there are only two IRS Offices here and both of them are located within a 10 miles radius from each other. However, the Providence IRS Office is located in a Federal Building and US Courthouse at Westminster Street along with some other federal offices in the same compound. The Federal Building is 6 stories long with brick façade. Apart from the IRS; US Secret Services and US Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms are the major federal tenants in this building. Nearby business locations are Chris Popoloski’s Memorial Tree, Grow Smart Rhode Island, Center for Justice, US Social Security Administration, Roger Williams University, City of Providence, Alliance Security, Johnson and Wales, United States Postal Service etc.
East on Ship Street: Head west on Ship Street toward Richmond Street. At the first cross-street ahead, turn right onto Richmond Street. One quarter mile later, turn right onto Weybosset Street. Shortly later, turn left onto Mathewson Street. Finally, take a left turn onto Westminster Street and the IRS Office building will be on the left.
West on Broadway: Head east on Broadway toward Barclay Street. Then, Broadway turns right and becomes Empire Street, drive on that for a while before turning left onto Washington Street. 200 feet later, turn right onto Aborn Street. Shortly after, take a right turn onto Westminster Street. The IRS Office will be on the left.
North on Francis Street: Head south on Francis Street S toward Memorial Boulevard. Take a slight left turn onto Fountain Street/Francis, then turn right onto Worcester Street. Turn left onto Eddy Street, then a while later turn right onto Westminster Street. The IRS Office will be on the left.
South on Fenner Street: Head northeast on Broad Street toward Foster Street. Take a left turn onto Empire Street, then turn right onto Chapel Street. 300 feet later, turn right onto Chapel Street, then a left turn onto Snow Road. Finally, turn left onto Westminster Street after a while. The IRS Office will be on the left on this road.
Monday through Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
Information: (401) 525-4282
Appointment: (844) 545-5640
This building has dedicated parking spots; however, they might not remain vacant. There is a commercial parking facility just within walking distance.
All public visitors are required to go through electronic security equipment and security screening procedures. Presenting a government issued valid ID is required for the confirmation of identity and appointment.
All public visitors are required to take appointment(s) prior to visiting, by calling the number provided above.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 1 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Topics)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (All forms, instructions & publications are readily available online on IRS.gov. Availability is very limited in IRS offices)
*Does not accept cash payments
This office provides Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA), a self-assistance computer kiosk with an IRS employee available to assist you with navigating the IRS.gov website. With FSA, you can access the IRS.gov website to complete a number of IRS-related tasks or get more information on the following subjects:
- Free File program
- Forms & Publications
- Where’s My Refund?
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Tax law questions
- Online Employer Identification Number (EIN) Application
- Online Payment Agreement
- Electronic payments (Direct Pay and EFTPS)