This page provides information about the IRS Office Sophia location.
*As of 2022 this TAC office has closed and moved to Beckley, WV.*
IRS Office Sophia – 420 Riffe Street, Sophia, WV 25921
East on Jessup Hollow Road: Head west on Jessup Hollow Road toward Randall lane. Drive until the Riffe Street arrives, take a right turn onto this road then. After a while, the IRS Office will be on the right.
West on Main Street: Head east on W Main Street toward Scout Street. Continue straight onto E Main Street for a while, then upon arrival turn left onto Riffe Street. The IRS Office will be on the right.
Northeast on Robert C Byrd Drive: Head southwest on this road, and keep left at the fork as it comes ahead. Keep eyes on the overhead signs for WV-16 S/Sophia and take this road, then continue onto WV-16S/Robert C Byrd Drive. Half a mile later, the road should hit Riffe Street. Turn left onto Riffe Street and after a while, the IRS Office will be on the left.
Monday through Friday from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, with a one-hour lunch break from 12 pm to 1 pm. This office follows the federal holiday schedule.
Information: (681) 222-6245
How to make an appointment
If you require face-to-face service at the Sophia IRS office, you must call 844-545-5640 to schedule an appointment.
Once you make an appointment, you will receive an automated email confirming the day and time of your appointment.
This office provides on-premises parking for visitors.
All public visitors are required to pass through electronic security equipment and security screening processes. Presenting a government issued valid ID is required for the confirmation of identity and appointment.
- Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
- Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
- Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
- Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
- Basic tax law assistance January 1 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Topics)
- Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (More Information)
- Payment arrangements
- Payments (check or money order only)
- Procedural inquiries
- Solutions to tax issues
- Tax forms (based on availability)
*Does not accept cash payments