What to Do if You’ve Lost Your Ein

When you apply for an EIN, you receive a computer-generated notice (CP 575) that contains your EIN and other information.

If you’ve lost the notice, here are some things you can try.

Before Contacting the IRS

If you only need the EIN number and not an EIN verification letter, you might be able to locate your EIN without contacting the IRS.

First, check if you’ve filed a business tax return previously using the EIN. If so, you can find the EIN on the tax return.

Next, if you used your EIN to open a bank account, the bank may be able to provide your EIN.

Contact the IRS

If you’re still not able to locate your EIN, you can get the number over the phone by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at 1-800-829-4933. The hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

  1. Press 1 – English
  2. Press 1 – EIN information
  3. Press 3 – You have an EIN but can’t remember the number or need a confirmation letter

Only authorized persons will be able to receive the EIN. Such persons include, but are not limited to, a sole proprietor, a partner in a partnership, a corporate officer, a trustee of a trust, or an executor of an estate.

You will need to provide contact information to prove your identity such as, business name, address, and contact details.

If you know your EIN but need an EIN Verification Letter (147C)

Follow the same steps above to contact the IRS and request an EIN confirmation letter.

Feel free to leave a comment. DO NOT PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION, as your comment will be shared on irsofficesearch.org.