On 4/15/20, the IRS put up a ‘Get My Payment’ tool that allows taxpayers to check on the status of their economic stimulus payments.
This application will give you information about your payment status, payment type, and whether the IRS needs more information from you, including bank account information.
The Get My Payment tool can be accessed on the IRS’ website here.
Who can use the Get My Payment tool?
Eligible individuals who were required to file a tax return in 2018 or 2019 (and did file) can use the Get My Payment tool to provide direct deposit information to the IRS to get your payment in your bank account if you owed taxes for 2018 or 2019 or didn’t choose direct deposit for your 2018 or 2019 refund.
All eligible individuals can also use the Get my Payment tool to track the status of your Economic Impact Payment.
Can you update your direct deposit information?
You can add bank account information if the IRS doesn’t already have it on file for you. However, to help protect against fraud, the tool also does not allow people to change bank account information already on file with the IRS, unless the deposit information was inaccurate and resulted in a refund check.
What information does the Get My Payment tool provide?
Get My Payment will display one of the following payment statuses:
1. Payment Status (one of two statuses) –
- A payment has been processed, a payment date is available, and payment is to be sent either by direct deposit or mail.
- You are eligible, but a payment has not been processed and a payment date is not available.
2. Need More Information – You are eligible for a payment, but the IRS does not have your direct deposit information. You will be given the opportunity to provide your bank information once you have properly verified your identity. Direct Deposit is the fastest way to get your EIP.
3. Payment Status Not Available – The IRS cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. For example, you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return, or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed.
If a payment date is not provided, updates to your payment status are made no more than once per day.
“please try again later” means your account has been locked. You will able to access the application after 24 hours have passed. Please do not contact the IRS.
“payment status not available” means the IRS cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time. This may occur for a variety of reasons, for example, if you didn’t file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return or you recently filed and the return has not been fully processed.
1 thought on “IRS Provides Online Stimulus Payment Tool”
My stimulus check deposited to wrong account number